Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes and Inflatables!
 What do you recommend -- plastic canoe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

Australia
660 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  10:38:56  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, the time has come for me to retire an outrageously abused and leaky fibreglass canoe and get a plastic canoe.

For sheer convenience and availability, I'm tempted to just go for a B-Line Wobbegong in green. I'm sure one would suit me just fine for my clumsy, non-rapid-shooting activities.

If anyone has words of praise for this model, or alternatively, recommendations for any other plastic canoe model that comes in green and is easily purchasable in Australia, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Simon

Ziggy
Ausbass Member

700 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Ziggy's Homepage Send Ziggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wobbegong seems to be a tough Canoe and is loved by my mate for shooting rapids over his Coleman.

Only down side is they are heavy and a little restricted for room if you want to use it for 2 people on a overnight trip.
Go to Top of Page

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

660 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  10:46:42  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm now thinking the Australis Bushranger also looks like an excellent option. It is a very welcome 6 kg lighter than the Wobbegong, and 7 kg lighter than my fibreglass jobbie.
Go to Top of Page

andybass66
Ausbass Member

169 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  21:11:22  Show Profile Send andybass66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wenonah prospector for me awesome cane 16 ft 30 kg
Go to Top of Page

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

660 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  14:05:54  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll look 'em up.
Go to Top of Page

andybass66
Ausbass Member

169 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  14:46:44  Show Profile Send andybass66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought mine from Travis at paddle and portage he imports them from USA good quality heaps of different models mine is a downriver made from Rolex
Go to Top of Page

oodowlo
Ausbass Member

24 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2015 :  19:27:32  Show Profile Send oodowlo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had an australis and was a bit heavy and so was also a bit unstable, now have a pelican Colorado. These boats are pretty cool, light but tough. Seem to be pretty much exactly same as the old coleman boats.
Go to Top of Page

Percichthyidae
Ausbass Member

23 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  07:37:01  Show Profile Send Percichthyidae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wenonah prospector 16 nice boat I bought one from Travis as well.

Edited by - Percichthyidae on 11/11/2015 07:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Bass1
Ausbass Member

2204 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  08:07:06  Show Profile  Visit Bass1's Homepage Send Bass1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given where you fish - Packraft!! Opens up some other water to you also.

Having said that I also own an old plastic Australis Bushranger that I got for $300 about 20 years ago that is still going strong despit the horrificly abusive life it has had (ie many many drag trips, coming of the car roof several times at speed and no love to speak of ever...) The poor ol thing was red so I spray painted it green, I left a trail aof green paint on the rocks of most south coast water ways, it is back to being red nowdays but the bass don't seem to care at night :-)

Edited by - Bass1 on 11/11/2015 08:11:27
Go to Top of Page

Titfish
Ausbass Member

647 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  13:39:21  Show Profile Send Titfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used both the wobbygong and an Old Town guide 147 on the same trip. They are different beasts altogether. The wobbly is extremely tough (thats why they are used so much by hire outfits and school groups) but compared to other craft really heavy. They are also fairly slow. The Old town is much lighter and much better to paddle. Has better seats and more usable space.

Hope this helps.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Lizardboy
Ausbass Member

145 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2016 :  18:26:01  Show Profile Send Lizardboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a recent trip with both I can tell you the Bushranger is the poor cousin of the Wobbygong based on comfort, tracking, stability in Rapids, don't do it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000